In today's news, just a short update:
* Sarah rode Darr on Monday evening - the usual walk, trot, canter. Still light on the canter - a few individual laps in each direction - and he is still raring to go :)
* Sarah had a light ride tonight and we chatted with Erin about bits, lunging, draw reins and the like, as well as plans over Christmas. We'll keep you posted on those fronts.
* We are looking forward to building up his cantering time gradually (despite his protests otherwise; he's apparently building up his fitness by getting some galloping exercise in the paddock :) ).
* Darr's fitness appears to be excellent, judging by his respiratory health and lack of sweating (I re-read the article you sent about Reconditionging Your Horse After Lay-Up, to see what we should be looking for).
* Erin's description of Darr is "that's a lot of horse". She is referring, of course, to his obvious athletecism. Me, I just think he is extremely cute and worthy of many treats.
Thanks for the update!
ReplyDeleteI would definitely like to ride him at least once over the break if that is possible, just to see what you are dealing with with respect to his energy. I'd love to ride him with Erin once too so she and I can brainstorm.
I was also thinking that if you are still icing him, you can probably cut it down or stop, and maybe just do it if he has a particularly long ride or impact on his legs. But I think he is fine by the sounds of it, and there's been no sign of anything!